Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

How to treat acidity?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 319 Questions
what to do to reduce acidity(when you skip food)
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 37 minutes later

Acidity as patients often describe it is caused by three major things
1. A Ulcer in the stomach
2. Reflux of acid contents from stomach to your food pipe
3. increase sensitivity of your stomach lining to acid secretion.

For both the things the idea is to reduce the acid content in your stomach. This can be done by simply taking antacids, but the problem with antacids is that they have a short duration of action. The better and more modern solution is to reduce the acid contents by reducing over a longer period of time by using drugs called Proton pump inhibitors. A doctor close to your home can prescribe the same. I suggest you take it for alteast 2-4 months to have a good long term effect. You can take simple antacids (like those advertised on television) along with the Proton pump inhibitors to give you additional short term relief.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help

Dr. Om Lakhani
Consultant Physician
(Former XXXXXXX Registrar- Asian Institute of Gastroenterology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor