Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

How to treat a small lump on high ankle which pains when pushed ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
I have a quater size red lump on my high ankle, when I push on it I feel slight pain. I have given it a week and it is not going away, could this be a cyst? It feels like a small mass attached to the XXXXXXX bone. I thought I banged it but that does not seem to be the case.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your question.

Regarding the symptoms which you are experiencing the most likely cause is a benign type of swelling. There are several different categories of this and I will review these with you and we can make some recommendations together regarding the best possible plan.

The first thing which comes to mind as you already mentioned is a fluid filled cyst. These are generally soft and somewhat mobile under the skin. Sometimes they become inflamed and when this happens it can become quite tender. Sometimes this may occur if some inflammatory fluid builds underneath muscles or tendons. This would occur generally in patients who are completing vigorous exercise regimens such as running and jumping for extended periods of time.

The next possible consideration is that this may be a soft tissue lipoma. A lipoma is a proliferation of fatty cells under the skin. These are generally benign. Next sometimes and insect bites may cause a small area of swelling as well. I suspect this is not the case for you otherwise you would have seen a local area of inflammation where the bite may have occurred.

As long as the remainder of your health is quite good and you have no additional symptoms I would feel safe in recommending that you continue to observe this area for the time being. I encourage you not to try to push or press on this area as it may cause more of an inflammatory response in the process of observing this.

If the swelling remains for more than six weeks beyond it today I would recommend that you visit with your biopsy. Otherwise he may refer you for a surgical consultation where a surgeon could evaluate you and decide if anything else needs to be done.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you have found my response to be both helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns regarding this I would be happy to address them.


Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor