Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

How to treat a scalp rash?

Jan 2014
User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 7512 Questions
my husband is having a rash on his head which seems to be growing... can some dermatologist help me ASAP
Wed, 6 Jun 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload images and provide more information

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.
I request you to kindly upload an image of the affected area in "Reports Section" so that I am able to guide you better.
Also let me know if he has any symptoms?like itching? pain? and what is the duration of the rash?

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How to treat a scalp rash? 11 minutes later
the pic of the rash
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Scalp psoriasis or seborrheic dermatitis

Detailed Answer:
Thank you.
I have viewed the image. I can see erythematous, scaly patches on the back of scalp. I will keep a possibility of either seborrheic dermatitis or scalp psoriasis.

I suggest him to use a coal tar and salicylic acid based shampoo( e.g Protar lotion). Lather it well on to wet scalp and allow it to act for 7-10minutes before rinsing it off.. Use it daily or on alternative days.

In addition to this I suggest him to use a topical steroid lotion and salicylic acid based lotion e.g clobetasol propionate 0.05 %and salicylic acid based lotion, twice daily ( e.g Topisal 6% lotion).

These are prescription medications and I advice you to talk to your local practitioner for a prescription of the same.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor