How to treat a scalp rash?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 6 Jun 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: my husband is having a rash on his head which seems to be growing... can some dermatologist help me ASAP
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload images and provide more information

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.
I request you to kindly upload an image of the affected area in "Reports Section" so that I am able to guide you better.
Also let me know if he has any symptoms?like itching? pain? and what is the duration of the rash?

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 11 minutes later
the pic of the rash
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Scalp psoriasis or seborrheic dermatitis

Detailed Answer:
Thank you.
I have viewed the image. I can see erythematous, scaly patches on the back of scalp. I will keep a possibility of either seborrheic dermatitis or scalp psoriasis.

I suggest him to use a coal tar and salicylic acid based shampoo( e.g Protar lotion). Lather it well on to wet scalp and allow it to act for 7-10minutes before rinsing it off.. Use it daily or on alternative days.

In addition to this I suggest him to use a topical steroid lotion and salicylic acid based lotion e.g clobetasol propionate 0.05 %and salicylic acid based lotion, twice daily ( e.g Topisal 6% lotion).

These are prescription medications and I advice you to talk to your local practitioner for a prescription of the same.