Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

How to treat a problem of speech disorder in a person when hearing is normal?

Nov 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 5556 Questions
Hello Sir, Good Morning. my brother having a problem with speech since child hood. he is not complete dumb but also not been able to speak. his age is 27 yrs. he can as normal as we are and don't have problem with listening or understanding any thing. kindly guide me what doctor we need to concern.
Posted Thu, 2 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi Mr XXXXXXX Thank you for posting your query. It is unfortunate that your brother is not able to speak properly since childhood. He needs to be evaluated by ENT as well as a neurologist doctor. If his hearing is normal, then, the problem would be related to brain. There is an area of brain (left frontal lobe in right handed people), which is involved in speech. I hope my reply has helped you. I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, For DIRECT QUERY to me: My blog:
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How to treat a problem of speech disorder in a person when hearing is normal? 3 hours later
Sir, Thanks for the reply. He is left handed . can you suggest very good ENT & Neurology doctor where i can consult him. presently i am based at Ahmadabad. in past what ever doctor we concern before 10 yrs everybody is with same opinion that every thing is normal not his part but there will be some problem with tong. it is shorter than Normal. so as he will grow he will be able to speak. so on that part what do u suggest. regards XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: Thank you for providing more information. In a left-handed person, the right side of brain may be involved in speech. As of now, you can consult an ENT doctor to start with. If he does not find a problem, then, you can consult a neurologist. You can visit XXXXXXX or Apollo Hospital, in Ahmedabad. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor