• question-icon

How to treat a glass cut wound on leg?

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in Lump
Question: Hi, I cut my leg on clean glass a week ago. The cut is about 2" long and maybe a 1/8" deep. I washed it with hot soapy water, applied antiboitic ointment and have used butterfly bandages with a waterproof bandaid over the top. Every two days, I remove the dressing, wash, clean with alcohol, apply Neosporin and new butterflys and waterproof bandaids. There has been no bleeding during the week and it does not seem infected due to lack of swelling or redness. Is my current care OK or should I go to the ER? Probably too late for stiches, right? Thanks, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Attach the photo of this wound.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Can you please attach the photo of this wound? It will allow to give valuable answer.

Generally, as there is no swelling, redness no need to visit ER or a doctor. Wounds do heal by itself. In my opinion you do too much. Antibiotic ointment is not necessary. Moreover, antibiotics in creams does not work.
Alcohol washing can be stopped at this point. And you may try to do not cover the wound at home. It will accelerate the healing process.
And its way too late for the stitches.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 days later
Here is a picture as of Monday 10/12.
Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
This looks very good.

Detailed Answer:
This looks really good. Its almost healed and you do not have to do anything with it. Just keep it clean. You may not cover it either.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon