Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

How to treat a child with aspergers syndrome?

Jun 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2496 Questions
Hi Doctor.My naem is XXXXXXX . I have an 8year old little boy with aspbergers syndrome. Very high functioning . But he has become increasingly angry and argumentative. I have in turn become hostile in the moment although I do adore him, I have found myself yelling at him excessively and saying very hurtful comments such as " I hate you..( I've said that twice lately) shut up,, ANd using profanity in his presence. I feel very guilty about losing control because i'm so in love with him and I want him to grow up knowing this and not feeling emotionally unstable and depressed. Do you think he will embed these arguments into his memory for the long run ? and may I be able to overcome this negativity with an enormous amount of love..and affection ..which btw he has always received on a regular basis
Posted Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
He would not able to recall these things

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in this query.

Usually children with aspergers syndrome do not have theory of mind. That is the ability to understand other's beliefs, desires and intentions that are different from one's own. In that case, children are not able to read the mind of other or able to understand other people behavior. Even if you scold him for his mistake, he would not able to understand it. Children with autistic spectrum disorder usually stay in their own world. They love to play with inanimate things and do not able to read family members emotion. So, even if you have told him few bad words, he would not able to recall them. Make sure you continue to love him.

If you have more query, you can ask.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor