How to treat a child with aspergers syndrome?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2014
Jun 2014

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi Doctor.My naem is XXXXXXX . I have an 8year old little boy with aspbergers syndrome. Very high functioning . But he has become increasingly angry and argumentative. I have in turn become hostile in the moment although I do adore him, I have found myself yelling at him excessively and saying very hurtful comments such as " I hate you..( I've said that twice lately) shut up,, ANd using profanity in his presence. I feel very guilty about losing control because i'm so in love with him and I want him to grow up knowing this and not feeling emotionally unstable and depressed. Do you think he will embed these arguments into his memory for the long run ? and may I be able to overcome this negativity with an enormous amount of love..and affection ..which btw he has always received on a regular basis
Posted Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
He would not able to recall these things

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in this query.

Usually children with aspergers syndrome do not have theory of mind. That is the ability to understand other's beliefs, desires and intentions that are different from one's own. In that case, children are not able to read the mind of other or able to understand other people behavior. Even if you scold him for his mistake, he would not able to understand it. Children with autistic spectrum disorder usually stay in their own world. They love to play with inanimate things and do not able to read family members emotion. So, even if you have told him few bad words, he would not able to recall them. Make sure you continue to love him.

If you have more query, you can ask.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist