Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

How to treat a broken collarbone ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
I broke my collarbone nine weeks ago, pretty clean break, slight displacement, my orthapedic specialist said no surgery. I still have limited range of movement and a fair amount of pain. IS this abnormal, I'm 50
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in TMJ
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query,

The collarbone is a commonly fractured long bone. Your orthopedist was correct in that there is really no good intervention if there is minimal displacement and we have to wait for the body to heal itself in a sense.

It is absolutely not uncommon to still have pain in the affected area with associated limited range of motion. You can do a few things, however, to facilitate the healing process. The first thing is to gently massage the area where the break took place. This has been shown in some studies to help improve blood supply and lymphatic drainage to injured tissues and it certainly could not hurt in your case. Next, I would advocate that you start a regimen of anti-inflammatory medication such as Ibuprofen (600 mg) three times daily for the next 14 days. This will help diminish any remaining inflammation and will promote better range of motion.

Lastly, it is critical that you push the limits of your range of motion every day - meaning exercises and stretching of your arms/shoulder to maintain mobility. The pain you have now is not abnormal and should improve over the next 8 to 12 weeks. It is a long process but your body will surely get back to a state of homeostasis where pain and limited range of motion are a thing of the past.

I hope you have found this answer to be both helpful and informative. should you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.


Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor