Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

How to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 299 Questions
good morning doctor.. i am 21 years old, my weight is approx. 55kg. i have a mental disorder.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Mental Health
Follow-up: How to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder ? 42 minutes later
hello whenever i wash my hand.., after wash i an just unable to decide its purity after several washes. is it a disorder with me?
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 1 hour later

Thanks for your query.

Washing hands very frequently,and not getting convinced repeatedly about the cleanliness of the hands, and re doing the same again and again , is a feature of a psychiatric condition called OCD/Obsessive Compulsive Disorder .

This is an anxiety disorder where people have repeated thoughts, ideas , feelings , sensations ( obsessions like dirt clinging on to hands even after thorough washing , thoughts that the room door was not locked and a need to re check again and again,switching off lights in a room and going back to check if it was off, etc) , that make them feel driven to something known as compulsions .

This is common condition , and most of them develop it by 30 years of age .They can get severe to such an extent that they will start causing major distress and interfere in daily life.

The treatment for this is based on behaviour therapy (cognitive behavioural therapy/CBT) along with medicines like the antidepressants. Psychotherapy will help in relieving anxiety and distress which is considered a contributing factor for OCD .

A psychiatrist is the right doctor who will help you the best .

With time and effective treatment,OCDs can be controlled and improvement is expected .

I hope I have answered your question , I will be available for follow up queries as well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor