How to test for pregnancy?

Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 22 Jul 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: Dear Dr,

I am 31 year old female earlier with irregular menstrual cycle. but after delivery, my menstruation is been regular. My last LMP was 28th may 2014. But on 13th of XXXXXXX I had an unprotected sex with my boyfriend.
Again on 21st i had unprotected sex agin. I am in doubt that i will conceive. so i had hcg blood test today the 27th XXXXXXX 2014 where the result came back negative ie less than 0.1. My q is will the test be accurate now or do i need to test again after a week . i heard i can test for hcg even the week before the expected menstrual cycle. please help me out of this confusion. what should i do now. should i test again or is this accurate ? do i still have chances to be pregnant after a week.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The test is reliable.

Detailed Answer:

According to your history, if you have regular 28-30 day cycles, you were in the fertile period when you had the first unprotected intercourse and this raises the risk for conception. Yet, an estimation of the serum beta-hCG titres two weeks away from the intercourse almost always gives you a definite conclusion as the test is more specific and sensitive.

Since you have read negative for pregnancy through the blood test, all you can do is to wait for your next period and go for a repeat test and also a trans-vaginal sonogram a week later, if you miss your period. Please see a specialist for further assistance.

Hope I have clarified your query. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Shanti Vennam 13 minutes later
Seen your reply I understood that beta HCG is reliable. But Is there still a chance that I will be positive after a week as you asked me to go for a ultrasound. Also at this point of time is there any medication to induce menstruation.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As below.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

Since you had intercourse during the fertile period, there is a chance that conception might have happened, though the blood test has been reported negative. In rare instances, even an early blood test report may seem negative with values picking up a week or so later. This is why I asked for the test to be repeated in case you miss the period.

Menstruation may be induced through use of hormones if it does not happen naturally. If pregnancy has occurred hormones fail to induce a period.

Hope your doubt has been clarified. Please get back if you need any more information. I will be ready to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Follow up: Dr. Shanti Vennam 2 days later
dear dr,
I took a home pregnancy test today and it came back negative. also, i forgot to mention you that i used norethisteron on 18th , 19th and 20 th of XXXXXXX
tomorrow i am going to get the trans vaginal scan done at the doctors offoce. will this scan be accurate at this time i mean at 4 weeks 5 days .
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
HPTs need a little more time.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing again.

Home pregnancy tests usually read well a week after a missed period. You should expect withdrawal bleeding to happen about a week after completion of hormone therapy; also, you did not mention why you had to use the hormone.

A trans-vaginal sonogram can detect a gestation sac at 4-5 weeks, if the sonographer is experienced and at 5 weeks, a yolk sac also can be made out.

Hope your query has been clarified. Please contact if you need more information. I will be ready to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Follow up: Dr. Shanti Vennam 21 hours later
Dear dr,

As said earlier I had a office visit today and the gynecologist here ask for a beta hcg and so I did beta HCG today also which came back negative the titration a we're 0.20. And she also said the ultrasound will not say anything now. She also said if this test is negative I will have to wait for a period. If I want to induce she prescribed me of meprate 10 mg for 5 days. What is your opinion on today's blood report and will you also suggest me to take meprate or wait for another week and test again . Suggest me please
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can wait for your period.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

With persistent negative tests, I would ask you to wait and watch for your natural period to ensue. If you do not see your period even after another week, the pregnancy test may be repeated along with a trans-vaginal sonogram and then, if everything is normal, a period is induced. This is what I would do with my patients.

Hope your query has been answered. Please contact if you need any more information. I will be available to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.