How to test for colon cancer?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Wed, 8 Jul 2015 in Cancer
Question: I did an at home stool specimen and sent it in for testing. I was told it was positive and I have made an appointment for next week for a colonoscopy. Does the positive result indicate I have cancer?
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
not at all

Detailed Answer:
The home stool tests are screening tests for colon cancer. However, there are many things that can cause you to have a positive test. Even eating red meat the night before can cause it. So can hemorrhoids or gastritis. It is also possible that you have some polyps that are bleeding. The polyps can be precancerous or benign and they can remove them when they do the colonoscopy. The stool cards you do at home are just screening. You have to have the colonoscopy to get the final diagnosis.
Please let me know if you have further questions.
Dr. Robinson
Follow up: Dr. Kathy Robinson 5 minutes later
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
you are welcome

Detailed Answer:
I wish you the best,
Dr. Robinson