How to test for HIV?

Question
hi sir

I have been exposed to protected receptive anal sex and unprotected receptive oral sex with a XXXXXXX (unknown status - but most likely he is HIV infected as he works in a massage store and do the same with his XXXXXXX costumers). his pre-semen and semen has interred into my mouth. I did spit the pre-semen and semen respectively in 30 seconds XXXXXXX and wiped my mouth by tissue. 5 min later I cleaned my mouth by water.

I started using zeffix lamivudine 100 mg 4 days after exposure as PEP treatment in case there is any infection. I take 300 mg per day. I have not visited any doctor yet

How risky is this sex behavior?

This was a week ago, I want to do reliable test that can give me an accurate result in 10 days. what do you recommend?

thank you very much
Posted Fri, 15 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Saatiish Jhuntrraa 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pl get a p24 estimation done

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for choosing wwwhealthcaremagic
this is very high risk behavior. Please get p24 test done. This test is for estimating the antigen load . It is good you have started medicines but must consult a qualified doctor for proper assessment and doses requirement.
Dr Saatiish Jhuntrraa

Follow-up: How to test for HIV? 24 minutes later
Dear Dr.

How about HIV RNA PCR after 10 days exposure? does it reliable test to indicate wether I am infected or not?

does the medicines impact the result of this test?moreover, I start feeling a bit weak and cold inside my body like the one in fever even though my body temperature is ok.

is it HIV symptoms?

sorry for asking so much

Answered by Dr. Saatiish Jhuntrraa 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your problem is probably due to anxiety

Detailed Answer:
hello
PCR is antibodies test so it is not a good choice. Medicines reduce the viral load for sure so it may affect the result but I think, p24 is the best test to do because it will detect the viral load or antigens. This is due to extreme anxiety because HIV will never be symptomatic so fast.
Dr Saatiish Jhuntrraa

Follow-up: How to test for HIV? 41 minutes later
dear Dr.

the last question:

is the P24 result is definitive and conclusive 10 days post exposure?

If not, when should do the next test and which test method you recommend to have a conclusive result?

I am just very tired can not sleep and eat ........

Answered by Dr. Saatiish Jhuntrraa 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
P24 is very sensitive

Detailed Answer:
Hello

After 2 weeks of exposure, there may be enough antibodies for detection by test so a combination of p24 with ELISA is the most sensitive of all.
Dr Saatiish Jhuntrraa