How to terminate early pregnancy?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 8 Apr 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: I am one month pregant can you provide aborstion pill I need help...I m small town girl cant consult doctor As my family will come to know I made out at 13th of feb n used pregancy kit twice its positive please help sir
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Go for medical termination, consult a gynec at the earliest.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
You need to have a termination at the earliest.
Let me explain the process of medical abortion with pills to you.

While undergoing a medical abortion, one should constantly be under medical supervision.
Let me explain why this is important.
Firstly, the pregnancy should be confirmed by a doctor , preferably with an ultrasound scan.
So it is not just enough to have a positive home pregnancy test, but it is vital to consult a gynecologist and have a pelvic ultrasound scan.
This has two purposes.
It dates the pregnancy accurately, because these abortion pills work only within a narrow frame of time.
Secondly, it confirms that the pregnancy is inside the uterus, rarely, there is a condition called ectopic pregnancy ( pregnancy outside the uterus ) which is very dangerous.

After confirming the pregnancy, tablets are taken by prescription.

Generally 1 tablet of Mifepristone is taken orally, 48 hours later 4 more tablets of Misoprostol are taken orally or inserted vaginally.

Bleeding with cramps starts in a few hours, and lasts heavily for a few days.

Spotting might continue for 15 days or more.

It is compulsory to have a follow up scan after 15 days to establish that the uterus is empty and the abortion is now complete.

Pills are more than 96 % effective in early pregnancy, however rarely there maybe complications such as - heavy bleeding, infection, failure of pills leading to surgical abortion , fainting etc.

Hence it is a must to keep a doctor in the loop throughout.

Misoprostol tablets can be taken orally or vaginally both.

Generally the combination of 1 mifeprin and 4 misoprostol is successful in more than 96 % of cases, and chances of having an incomplete abortion are quite low, less than 5 % in fact.

Also, if a doctor is kept informed, then the requisite actions can be immediately taken.
Medical abortion is quite safe nowadays if done with due precautions.

Please consult a gynecologist at the earliest.
All the best
Please feel free to discuss further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 22 hours later
Thank you...sir I have taken manifest pill on 16th march 11.40pm..doctor suggest to takee 2 tab cytolog 200gm after 48 hrs so exactly what time I should take the medicine..and what kind of food should I eat before taking it..plese suggest I am very tensed sir..
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Timings as below

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear.
Good that you consulted a doctor.
You have taken Mifepristone at 11.40 pm on 16th of March, so you should take 2 tablets of Cytolog at 11.40 pm on the 18th of March, and then 2 more tablets at 11.40 pm on the 19th of March.
You can have normal bland home made food, there are no food restrictions.
AVoid oily, spicy, greasy food.
And relax, dont worry.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 33 hours later
Hi mam I started bleeding after taking 2 tab of cytolog.Do I need to other 2 tab because i already started bleeding normal and little cramp.it is said if I started bled0eding it not require to take other 2 cytolog.I am having normal bleeding and clot.How will I know that the abortion is succesful..please help mam
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, please take remaining 2 tablets also.

Detailed Answer:
Whether you bleed or not, you need to take the remaining 2 tablets also.
It is essential to ensure complete process.
You should have an ultrasound scan after 15 days, that will confirm that the abortion was successful.
You can contact me directly anytime at the following link -
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-aarti-abraham/64623