How to tackle an unexplained aggressive behavior by a child with no history of behavioral problems?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 10 Sep 2018 in Child Health
Question: My 6 year old has been hitting kids at school this week for no reason and he has never done this before and has not had behavior problems before. What do I do or where do I turn?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Talk to your child. Reassure him. Find out the cause of his anxiety.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns.

The first thing that you need to do is to talk to your child. Your child is possibly under some kind of stress. It could be due to bullying or due to psychological instability caused by other factors.

It would also be advisable to take him to a child psychologist. He would be able to reassure the child and suggest behavioral changes that could improve the situation.

Possibly cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and behavior modification therapy would help.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Diptanshu Das, Pediatrician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D