How to stop lice spread from person to person?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 3 Aug 2018 in Child Health
Question: Our grandchildren have contracted lice and been treated vigorously for a week with shampoo, combing etc. Their household has been scrubbed from top to bottom. They are due for their second shampoo Sunday 1/21. We want to travel to visit 1/19. We won't be staying there overnight but do share lots of hugs and kisses (kids are two and four.) What are our chances of contracting lice? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Some chance is definitely there

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Lice is usually spread by hair to hair contact or during close contacts like hugs. So, if your grandchildren have lice, there is indeed some chance of transmission if there is a lot of hugs and kisses involved.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 5 hours later
Thanks, I sort of suspected. Just to ask, they have had a treatment with the anti lice shampoo and their who House has been scrubbed. Their next shampoo is due Sunday. I’m sure that we must take strict precautions but does the treatment reduce the risk at all?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
The treatment definitely reduces the risk, but does not eliminate it.

Detailed Answer:
The treatment definitely reduces the risk, but does not eliminate it. The fist round of treatment and scrubbing will remove majority of the lice, but there is a chance that some still survive, especially the eggs. The chances of transmission of such eggs (and even remnant lice), although low, is still there.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D