How to stop drinking brandy?

Psychiatrist
Question
Am drinking 180ml of Brandy every day for the past 3 years, suggest me ways to come out safely. Should i cut back slowly & regularly or what is the best way to stop abruptly
Posted Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hello

Detailed Answer:
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     29 year old female
•     Known case of 180ml of alcohol (Brandy) use every day for the past 3 years
•     Concern related to stoppage of alcohol use.

In my opinion it is better to stop Brandy abruptly. To prevent withdrawal, you need to take long acting Benzodiazepines (Like Diazepam) for 5-7 days under psychiatrist or deaddiction specialist.

After that for Relapse prevention following medicines are helpful:
-Anti craving treatment with medicines like Acamprosate or Baclofen
-Deterrent medicine (like Disulfiram) is given to patient after his consent, which causes adverse reaction on alcohol intake. It prevent patient from using alcohol due to fear of reaction.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: How to stop drinking brandy? 19 minutes later
please note am 29 years old male ...advise accordingly

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

Sorry for inconvenience.

It was a typing error. My all recommendations are for your case only (29 year old male).

Please accept my answer and give feedback in case there is no further query and you found reply helpful. In case of doubt, I am here to help you.

Wish you good health.