Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

How to stop child's habit of playing with genitals and hitting head when angry?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 3190 Questions
Good morning Doctor, this is XXXXX need your advice - XXXXXXX is 2yrs 5months old, he plays with his penis a lot now a days.... It's like he likes masturbation kind... And when he gets angry he hits himself on his head or on his penis. We are worried about this, Today he started complaining about pain in penis. Please advise : A. How to treat him for pain? B. Stop him from this habit? Regards
Posted Mon, 30 Dec 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Its Normal phenomenon seen in children Detailed Answer: Namasthe Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Mr XXXXXXX Being a Pediatric Surgeon i encounter many such cases. Its quite normal for a child around the age of 2- 3 years to be fascinated about their genitals . They usually play around with their genitals. Its a general advise with the parents to just neglect, the children usually overcome this habit over period of time. Head banging or hitting is also common, it requires lot of patience on part of parents to handle it. Suggest you to speak gently with him and ask him not to do. If there is no external injury on penis, no swelling and is voiding urine noramlly there is no cause of concern. Making him sit in a Hot water tub(Lukewarm water) will relieve the pain. Add a Handful of common table salt in a tub of water and make him sit in for 15-20 minutes. Repeat it thrice a day. He will enjoy it and also divert his mind away from it. In case you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Wishing you happy and healthy life Take Care Best Regards Dr Deepak K K MBBS,MS,MCH Consultant Pediatric Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor