question-icon

How to stop Melacare cream without losing fair skin tone?

Posted on Tue, 3 Jul 2018
Question: Please tell me how to get rid of melacare cream without losing my fair skintone...Please help me
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. (4 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Regarding complexion /skin tone and use to topical steroid cream

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

Melacare is a steroid based cream. The perceived fairness due to its use or abuse is actually a side effect of topical steroid. So once you stop the cream the side effect (lighter skin) would gradually improve which you might appreciate as darkening of skin. I suggest you to discontinue Melacare.
You may rather use a safer alternative e.g a 6-12% glycolic acid based cream which would also improve complexion/ skin tone and also can be sagely used long term on face unlike a topical steroid cream. In addition you must also use a broad spectrum sunscreen, during the day.
Another option is to try oral or injectable glutathione to improve complexion.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. (17 hours later)
Can I use kojic acid cream n the oral pills at the same time?
N how n when to use them?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. (16 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Regarding cream to lighten skin

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
You can use the Kojic acid cream and glutathione pills simultaneously. Use the cream, twice daily. Also use a broad spectrum sunscreen during the day. Glutathione pills can be taken twice daily.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. (5 hours later)
Okay. Thank you.
Any more precautions? Since I stopped​ melacare I'm losing my skintone day by day.
By using kojic cream in how many days can I go back to my normal skintone.
Is kojic cream a skin whitening cream? Are there less chances to lose this fair skintone? Suggest me some safe skin whitening creams.
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. (8 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Regarding skin fairness

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Kojic acid is safe but it is not as dramatically effective as Melacare creams. Kojic acid improves skin tone but it is mainly used for hyperpigmentation. I suggest you to use it for 2-3 months. Also use a sunscreen during the day and if you can take oral glutathione 1000 mg per day, for 3-4months, that would be great.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist