How to stay healthy and fit?

Meenakshi
Meenakshi Attrey

Dietitian & Nutritionist

Posted on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Healthy Living
Question: how to stay healthy and also control weight gain
Answered by Meenakshi Attrey 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
balanced diet and active lifestyle

Detailed Answer:
HI XXXXXXX,

Thank you for using HealthcareMagic.

Staying fit is an outcome of adapting to a healthier lifestyle. Diet and physical activities both go hand in hand while making changes to achieve this goal.

First and most important thing is to ensure that you take the meals on time and maintain the compositions. A good meal is one that provides all major food groups, like cereal, pulse, vegetables and fiber. Fruits are also important and make sure that you take at least one fruit every day.

Including beverages like green tea, lemon juice, soups, buttermilk, and coconut water etc. would help in keeping up the metabolism. Avoid large quantities of saturated fats, however, you may take ghee and cream in small quantities. Fat intake should largely be from the healthier unsaturated (Trans fat free) oils, like refined mustard, corn, canola, ground nut, olive etc.

Protein is important; consider the pulses, legumes and other foods like mushroom, soy etc. to fulfill your protein requirements. If you take non veg, then limit the intake to lean portions of chicken fish and egg white. The carbohydrates are also important but you should be careful about what you take. Fries or fatty carbs like fried potato cause weight gain. While carbohydrates with fiber like, fruits and whole cereals are the best sources.

In addition to diet exercises are also important as they enhance the performance of diet and facilitate muscle development and improve organ function. Learn to combat stress and develop a healthy outlook. Maintain high standards of personal and environmental hygiene to avoid any kind to exposure to infections and mental fatigue.

Hope this helps.

Meenakshi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad