How to rule out tinnitus?

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 25 Apr 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: every so often I get this buzzing sound in my head. it lasts awhile then goes away. it seems to focus on left side but sometimes on both. any ideas on to why this is happening. thanks
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get examined by an ENT specialist and neurologist

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concern.
Possibility of tinnitus is likely.
You should get your blood pressure measured.
Get an evaluation by ENT specialist too.
Drugs like cinnarizine can be used.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Neeraj Kumar 28 minutes later
my blood pressure seems to be fine. isn't tinnitus associated with ringing in the ears. mine is like a buzzing sound. is cinnarizine an over the counter drug? what kind of drug is it. thanks
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
please get examined and evaluated by an ENT specialist

Detailed Answer:

Tinnitus may have buzzing sounds too.
Further examination may rule out any local pathology.

Cinnarizine is used for suppressing balancing organ overactivity.

Hope you found the answer helpful.
Wishing you good health and early recovery.

Dr N Kumar
Neurologist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Neeraj Kumar 41 minutes later
one more question. it seems that after I have a cigarette, I get that buzzing sound. what does that have to do with that. thanks
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
May be related to vasoconstriction

Detailed Answer:
Cigarette smoking leads to stimulation and vasoconstriction leading to increased pressure.
This may be a cause if buzzing if it's artery related.
Dr N Kumar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj