• question-icon

How to rule out senile endometritis?

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Question: i recently had a period and im 54, and havent had one for about 4 years. i went to see my doctor and he gave me a pap smear and also scraped my uterus. he just called me and said i have on set (something, cant remember the word he used) but said i didnt have cancer. i kinda blurred out i guess because i got a little scared because even though he said i have on set or something to that effect and that in 60% of women, it just goes away but if i were to want to get another intrusive test, which by the way will hurt more than the scraping of my uterus, which i cant even imagine how much worse, then i could do that in a couple of months or 6 months. im asking if you know what the word is i cant seem to remember about the on set something word and what exactly does that mean, even though he told me. i love my doctor but i know hes not available for me to call him back immediately. can you answer this question, or does it even make sense?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Senile endometritis likely

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
Bleeding after menopause can be due to cancer of cervix or uterine endometrium, senile endometritis or due to effect of hormonal replacement therapy.
Your doctor might have told you it to be senile endometritis or hormonal disturbance.
It can be confirmed by hysteroscopy, which is a little bit more painful than endometrial scraping.
You can get it done to confirm the diagnosis.
If it is confirmed to be senile endometritis, then there is nothing to worry.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 12 hours later
thank you for your answer but it came to me last night that he said i had (low grade
(the following word is what i forgot)) i thought that might help you in determining what the word was that followed (low grade . . .) and even if you know the word i couldnt figure out, would it be the same conclusion on your part because i do remember him saying he could do another procedure and he did say it would actually hurt more than the scraping, which was the worst pain ever. he did say i shouldnt worry about it but he knows me well enough to know im going to have the other procedure because my mother passed away from uterine cancer.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Repeat biopsy advised

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
Both the carcinoma of the endometrium and the dysplasia of the endometrium can be low grade.
In both the cases, hysteroscopy and targeted endometrial biopsy should be done to rule out any carcinoma.
Moreover, since you have history of endometrial cancer in mother, then it is advised to get a repeat biopsy done.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine