• question-icon

How to rule out factitious disorder?

Posted on Thu, 20 Jul 2017 in Mental Health
Question: I am a friend and neighbor of a woman with what her hubby and I believe is Factitious disorder. To us, she clearly has a classic case. She comes up with illnesses just to go to the ER. She goes to ER at least two, sometimes three times a week. One ER told her not to come back. She goes all over San XXXXXXX to whatever ER she can find. They don't help her and nothing changes. Her assigned physician recently dismissed her from care and sent her to a new clinic. Her Dr. admitted to me about nine months ago that they let her slip through the cracks. The clinic is at their wits end with her, which I get. But who will help this woman? She said this morning she wishes she could die and if she knew how to do it, she would. What does a person do when no one will help? Could you point us in the right direction? Reply to YYYY@YYYY . Thank you so much.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

If someone says they want to die, that person needs immediate psychiatric evaluation. You need to call 911 to have her brought to an emergency room for a psychiatrist to see her. What she might need is inpatient psychiatric admission for a while, to come up with a more robust outpatient psychiatric treatment plan to keep her from returning to ERs so frequently. A psychiatric admission might facilitate that.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private web address below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private web address: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist