• question-icon

How to rule out a restless leg syndrome?

Posted on Wed, 5 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: What are the symptoms for restless leg syndrome?
as restless leg syndrome symptoms and nerve compression symptoms looks similar. As the report of ls spine mri report shows nerve compression for my mother but symptoms are mostly pretty much same like restless leg syndrome symptoms. so, how to differentiate and identify or diagnoise correct problem.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explanation below, a thorough neurological examination is necessary.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HealthcareMagic.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Typical features of restless legs syndrome include the urge to move legs due to legs discomfort usually during the evenings or nights.

Moving the legs results in temporary relief of the discomfort.

Typical features of nerve compression include pain and/or sensory changes (tingling, numbness, etc.) In a well-differentiated territory.

In a case of nerve compression, symptoms usually improve with rest and worsen during physical efforts.

Legs discomfort in restless legs syndrome includes both and all legs, nerves compression usually don't affect both legs equally.

A thorough neurological examination may differentiate easily between two conditions.

Please discuss with your mother's Doctor about these issues.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 20 hours later
We consulted neurologist and he had asked to start following medication.
Gabapin nt 100mg (3 times a day for 14days)
Ketanov tablet (3 times a day for 14days)
Predmet tablet 4mg (morning 2 tablet for 7 days)
Predmet tablet 4mg ( morning 1 tablet for other 7days)
neuro d3 60k (once a week)

Can she take up these medications? What are these medicines used for? As Predmet is steroid, I am bit worried if she can take that?
Also, btw she is asthma patient too..Please let me know Dr. Thanks a lot.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Each drug function explained below.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

Gabapentin is used as an antineuralgic drug in this case, it may be used in both, nerves compression and restless legs syndrome.

Ketanov is a NSAID drug used also for moderate to severe pain relief.

Predmed is a steroidal antiinflammatory drug that can be used in cases of degerative spinal stenosis.

Predmed should improve asthma too, but Ketanov is contraindicated to be used if asthma is aspirin-sensitive.

Neuro D3, 60 K is a supplement preparation.

Basically, your mother's Doctor gave this treatment for nerve compression.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 3 days later
Thanks a lot Doctor. Suddenly my Mom was not able to speak. Last night she couldn't sleep and morning she had asthma and after that for few minutes she was not able to speak at all. Is that Panic attack or anxiety attack? Also she says her heartbeat fast. We got her ecg checked up and it was normal. Why she is not able to speak. This is the 5th episode. I noticed this gets triggered whenever she is in deep worry or tensed. I don't know what I supposed to do at that time. Need your advice doctor. Leg pain has reduced by the way after taking medication.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 25 hours later
Brief Answer:
TIA to consider too.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

Panick attack may be the culprit, but conditions such transient ischemic attack also should be considered and evaluated further.

Neurological evaluation and MRI of brain are necessary to understand better the cause of your mother's issues.

Discuss with your mother's Doctor about further evaluation.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical