• question-icon

How to rule out ADHD in an infant?

Posted on Sat, 15 Jul 2017 in Mental Health
Question: I can't get to a doctor right now. I have a 3 month old and I work 2 jobs in a single mother. And I've been trying to get to a therapist to get some advise or advise on my adhd. I have learned to deal with it in school and daily activities but now aith a newborn and 2 jobs I can't control my daily tasks. I'm running all over trying to stay on top of schedule and my mind is else where.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I think you can seek help

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

Although you may state that ADHD is problem for distractibility in recent past and difficulty managing things but I think before jumping to conclusions we need to look for other causes.

The simplest explanation for distractibility and not able to follow schedule is overburden. Anybody with complete sane mid can find it difficult to manage a young infant and two jobs especially when she is single mother. I mean to say that increased burden could be the likely cause rather than the ADHD which was diagnosed around eight years back.

The possibility of above reason is quite high as you have managed your school without medication for fair amount of time.

Having said this I feel sharing your work to significant others could solve the problem in right manner. I understand that we all thrive to excel in our work while managing families but it is rightly possible that you may find it difficult to manage things which are beyond your capacity.

I understand that medication can increase your concentration but I think they are recommended in current situation.

I hope this answers you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 9 minutes later
I'm not sure what you mean. Completeling school and being a single mother is two different task. In school i had one on on time to learn and teach me. Being a single mother I don't have Anyone to teach me and keep my focused on life.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.

I mean to say that the ADHD should not be blamed for difficulty in concentration. It is normal to have attention and concentration issues when we are over burdened. Since you have two jobs and one small kid to care the criteria or over burden is likely and the cause of attention deficit and distractibility.

I understand that school and pregnancy should not be compared but I am just trying to make a point that you need help in handling various tasks from family members or significant others.

I hope this clarifies.
Thanks and regards.
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist