How to reverse side effects of Risperidone?

Psychiatrist
Question
I have been taking risperdal for three years. Recently, I realized that it had caused serious damage to my brain (which I hope is reversible). I took myself off the drug and started taking magnesium (mood is much better). My question is what is the best course to heal and how long will it take to get there? Very little credible info available.
Posted Fri, 15 Aug 2014 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction

Answered by Dr. Vishal Garala 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
hii risperidone is atypical antipsychotics

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear
Thank you for using health care
You are using risperidone for psychotic illness mainly for schizophrenia
Becase it needs such long treatment

Sorry to say you that medicines doesnt lead to any brain damage
Damage and cognitive decline is the part of illness itself
Risperidone causes side effect like extrapyramidal symptoms that include tremor , dystonia, salivation etc
But it can avoid by adding anticholinergic medicine like trihexyphenidyl

If u have psychotic illness like schiziphrenia that duration of treatment depends on severity of illness, duration of illness, response of treatment
NICE guidline suggest that 1st episode of it require treatment up to 3 years after tottal improvement

Prognosis of schophrenis is XXXXXXX 33% improved with medication
33% better with on treatment
33% remaining same

So if I have symptoms than it would be better to countinue taking medicine and regular follow up to your doctor
I will here to help you
Hope you will get best
Thank