How to resolve vitamin D deficiency?

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: My vitamin D levels are 10.66. i understand this is deficient. what should I do to up the level to make it in the normal range.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vitamin D supplements

Detailed Answer:
Although you could try some natural ways of raising it, such as exposure to sunlight and certain types of foods, it is unlikely to provide you with enough to bring it up quickly towards normal. Moreover, excessive strong sunlight has its own side effects, and the food items come with extra calories.

So when I see a patient who presents to my practice with a level similar to yours, I typically prescribe vitamin D supplements such as

TAYO 60 K weekly for 10 weeks to boost blood levels, followed by once monthly for a lifetime to maintain the levels in the normal range.

However, I first perform a thorough physical examination and order tests such as
CBC
Electrolytes
Calcium
HbA1c
Creatinine
SGOT
SGPT
Albumin
TSH

Fasting is preferred for these tests, particularly the calcium or it can appear falsely elevated.

IF vitamin D is supplemented in the presence of high blood calcium levels then treatment described above can further dangerously elevate the blood calcium levels