How to resolve problem of autistic child who masturbates frequently?

Dr. Praveen

Posted on Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Mental Health
Question: My grandson, who has autism, masturbates and his learning center wants to have him removed. Is there any medicine that he can take to stop this. He is nonverbal.
Answered by Dr. Praveen 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: He needs behavioral therapy & mirtazapine Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for writing on XXXXXXX Children with autism (teens and children) do not have the notion of 'private' or 'public' and that some behaviors are done only in 'private'. If your grandson is showing a tendency to masturbate in public/school he has to be told that this is a behavior which takes place in private (at home). At home he needs to have his private place (bedroom) where he needs to be redirected. If this behavior becomes a disturbing trend then I suggest to talk to a psychiatrist for further management. Pharmacological therapy (mirtazapine) is available for the treatment of this problem and has to be taken under medical supervision. Write to us for further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj