Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

How to remove the fibroid in uterus ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 336 Questions
Hello Dr.,My wife aged 36 years. She is suffering from two fibroids. Her largest fibroid was around 4.5 cm and another 3.5 cm . Pls advise me How to remove it.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 42 minutes later

Thanks for your medical question.

Fibroids or uterine leiomyomas are benign lesions resulting due to hyperplastic growth of the uterine muscles.

The fibroids that your wife has are indeed larger in size and treating them will help resolve all the symptoms that your wife might be having.

Surgery and procedures used to treat fibroids include the following.

Uterine artery embolization: This procedure stops the blood supply to the fibroid, causing it to die and shrink. This option helps to preserve fertility. But the chances of more fibroids coming up persist after the procedure.

The best and simple way to remove the fibroids is via laparascopic Myomectomy.
Here the fibroids are removed by laparoscopy and is performed under general anesthesia. It will require hospitalisation for a minimum of 4-5 days. This option can be chosen in case you and your wife want to have more kids. But the chances of more fibroids developing after a myomectomy are present.

The other option that can be done is hysterectomy. This can be done either laparoscopically or by vaginal route. (Vaginal is the best and easiest). This option can be chosen in case, you and your wife do not want any more kids. This option removes the possibility of further fibroids occuring in the future entirely.

In this option the ovaries can be left intact which can be helpful to avoid early menopause like symptoms as well as is protective against osteoporosis.

You might consult a Gynaecologist who can examine her, do a few tests to rule out other medical issues and then can perform the procedure which you would like to undergo.

I hope this helps to answer your questions. I will be available for follow up.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor