How to reduce weight?

Dr. Aparna Amritsagar

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Weight
Question: Need to reduce weight
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 53 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing your query to us.

I would like to know your current height & weight. That would help me to guide you properly & to know how much weight you need to reduce.

Our body uses food for energy. It stores any excess energy as fat. This means if you eat more food than your body needs for daily activities and cell maintenance, you will gain weight.

To lose weight, you need to get your body to use up these stores of fat. The most effective way to do this is to:
•     reduce the amount of calories you eat
•     increase your levels of activity.

Reduce your calorie intake:

If you are overweight, you cannot continue with your current eating habits if you really want to lose weight. In terms of weight-loss, you can get your body to use up existing stores of fat by eating less and making healthier choices. This does not mean crash diet (anything less than 1500 calories), which usually ends up with you either getting weaker or giving up in desperation. Quick-fix diets can lead to a yo-yoing effect of drastic weight loss followed by weight gain, resulting in a vicious cycle.
Eating 300 to 500 calories less per day should lead to a loss of between one and two pounds per week.
Fat contains the most amounts of calories out of all the food types (protein, carbohydrates), so a good way to achieve this is to cut down on fatty foods and eat more wholegrain bread, fruit and vegetables.

Below are ways to reduce calorie intake without having to alter your diet significantly.
•     Replace fizzy drinks and fruit cordials with water, coconut water.
•     Swap whole milk for semi-skimmed, or semi-skimmed for skimmed milk.
•     Eat less lunch than usual. For example, make your own sandwich and limit the use of margarine or butter and full-fat mayonnaise (store-bought sandwiches often contain both). Include salads in your diet before starting your meals. Salad makes you feel full.
•     Stop taking sugar in tea and coffee. Switch to XXXXXXX tea.
•     Have smaller portions of the food you enjoy.
•     Avoid having a second helping at dinner.
•     Cut out unhealthy treats – such as sugary biscuits and crisps between meals.
•     Cut down on alcohol intake.
All these things will influence your health in a positive way.
Finally & important do not skip breakfast – or any meal to lose weight. While skipping a meal will reduce your calorie intake for that hour, it will leave you much hungrier later on. Irregular eating habits disrupt body's metabolism, which makes it harder to lose weight.

Increase your activity levels:
There are many ways to increase the amount of activity you do. Team sports, racket sports, aerobics classes, running, walking, swimming and cycling will all improve your fitness levels. Find something you enjoy that is easy for you to do in terms of location and cost. Every extra step you take helps. Always use the stairs instead of the lift, or get off the bus a stop before the usual one and walk the rest of the way.
I hope I have answered your query. In case you have any further question I will be happy to help you. Take care.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 1 hour later
My height is approximately around 5.10 and weight around 83 when i checked the same before one month. So in this case please suggest me what kind of food i can take to reduce my weight.
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 1 hour later
Thanks for your reply.

Based on your height & weight you’re calculated BMI is 26.3. That means you fall into overweight category. Normal BMI should be between 18.5 – 24.9. Ideal body weight according to your height weight should be between 60-78 kg.
Body mass index (BMI) is a measure of body fat based on height and weight.
BMI Categories:
•     Underweight = <18.5
•     Normal weight = 18.5–24.9
•     Overweight = 25–29.9
•     Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

In addition to my previous reply, you can include below mentioned food items in your diet along with increased physical activity to reduce weight.

1. Eggs -
Eggs, which are full of protein, will help you feel fuller longer. A research has shown that protein may also prevent spikes in blood sugar, which can often lead to food cravings. So we'd like to limit it to using the egg whites.

2. Beans -
Beans contain a digestive hormone which is a natural appetite suppressant. One way to get this is by eating beans.

3. Salad
If you tend to stuff yourself at meals. Control that calorie intake by starting with a large salad without the creamy dressing.

4. XXXXXXX Tea XXXXXXX tea is XXXXXXX in antioxidant which help speed metabolism and fat burning.

5. Pears, Apples
They are high in fibre content. Both contain pectin fiber, which decreases blood-sugar levels, helping you avoid between-meal snacking.

6. Olive Oil
A monounsaturated fat, it'll help you burn calories. It works well in salad dressings, as a bread dip.

7. Tofu
It seems too light to be filling. Tofu is an appetite-quashing protein.

8. Nuts
A handful of peanuts is about 165 calories. But research shows that people who snack on nuts tend to be slimmer than those who don't . Walnuts contain omega-3 fatty acids also helpful for reducing weight.

9. High-Fiber Cereal
You can curb your appetite by eating a bowl for breakfast. They are high in fiber & keeps you full for long time.

10. Drink plenty of water- it has many benefits in weight loss.
The process of burning calories requires an adequate supply of water in order to function efficiently; dehydration slows down the fat-burning process. A healthy (weight loss) diet includes a good amount of fiber.
While fiber is normally helpful to your digestive system, without adequate fluids it can cause constipation instead of helping to eliminate it.
Burning calories creates toxins and water plays a vital role in flushing them out of your body.
Drinking water with a meal may make you feel full sooner and therefore satisfied eating less. However, that drinking water alone may not have this effect. In order to feel satiated (not hungry), our bodies need bulk, calories and nutrients.

Finally do not skip breakfast – or any meal to lose weight. Instead have 6 small frequent low calorie meals. While skipping a meal will reduce your calorie intake for that hour, it will leave you much hungrier later on. Irregular eating habits disrupt body's metabolism, which makes it harder to lose weight.
Wish you good health. Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 15 minutes later
Please suggest on non vegetarian part. Is that i need to stop completely to eat or can take a bit.
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

You can continue eating non vegeterian. There is no need to stop eating completely.
Only you need to follow few things.
Reduce intake of red meat. You can eat chicken, fish & eggs.
Avoid XXXXXXX fried fish or chicken dishes. Always prefer a grilled or steamed fish or chicken. I prefer fish at least twice a week. Do not pick organ meat and meat with visible fat / skin on it.

I hope i have answered your query.Take care.