Owl Image

How to reduce weight?

Endocrinologist
Question
Hi I have hypothyroidism. I exercise very hard (weights and cardio) for at least an hour everyday. I follow a calorie controlled diet yet I continue to put on weight!! I am taking 75mls of oroxine on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays and 100mls on Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays.
Is there any other supplements that I can take to help me shed this extra weight around my stomach?
I am 167cm tall and currently weigh 67kg and 46 years old I would like to reduce this to around 59-60 kg which I was for years before I was diagnosed. Please help
XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thyroid

Detailed Answer:
Sorry to learn about the weight gain.

For many of my patients with hypothyroidism I aim for a TSH of 0.4 to 2 with Free T4 levels as close to upper limit of normal as possible. It is believed this gives the best results.

So as long as your lab results are in this range, nothing else is necessary from the thyroid perspective.
However, one should not target aggressive dosing if there is severe untreated osteoporosis or heart problems (like irregular rhythm or chest pains).

I see you are on a diet too and that is not helping get rid of the belly fat either.

Reducing fat around the midriff has become a challenge in this millennium. Ask your doctor to consider testing you for a condition called Cushings syndrome if (s)he thinks you may have based upon examining you. It is a cause of weight gain, particularly in the stomach area. However, it is very uncommon condition.

Supplements do not have a proven safety and effectiveness record for me to recommend any.

I have noted your exercise regimen and it is good. But studies suggest that upto 90 minutes of vigorous exercise daily may be required to lose weight.