How to reduce weight?

Meenakshi
Meenakshi Attrey

Dietitian & Nutritionist

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Weight & Lifestyle
Question: hi doctor,i m 19 years old female.i wanted to reduce my weight. i m 67 kgs and 5.3 feet.i m staying in hostel.so diet foods are impossible.i used to workout in gum..bt i exhaust for the whole day..pls help me for reducing the weight without exhausting.i hav to reduce my weight badly.
Answered by Meenakshi Attrey 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Modify lifestyle ....

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXX,

Greetings......!!!

I understand that you are serious about loosing weight, and given that your BMI is around 26, trust me the road is neither too long nor too tough. ll you need to do is to be focused and persistent.

To offer some relief, let me tell you that there is nothing as “ Diet Foods”, weight loss cannot be achieved by use or deletion of any food in diet. What you need to really do for long term results is MODIFY your eating and activity routine.
Being in hostel does not leave you with many options but a careful selection of portions and combinations will help. For example, take chapatti and vegetables with salads as many times as possible. On days when there is a fried or refined food on the menu, you may skip the hostel food and treat yourself with a bowl of fruits and a whole wheat bread with some nut butter. Cereals with milk, is also a healthy option. You may use cold milk or even the tetra pack soymilk ).
Some key principles that you need to remember are:
•     Never skip meals.
•     Never leave the hostel without eating something.
•     Reduce the calorie intake: avoid unnecessary sugar in tea/coffee and avoid taking the refined foods with fatty ingredients.

•     Include fiber in diet: Fiber helps as it is not digested in our gut; it remains for longer time and do not make us feel hungry. Add salads and fruits along with whole grains.

•     Choose the low fat dairy products like low fat pneer and low fat curd.

•     Include antioxidants in your diet. A liberal intake of fresh fruits and vegetables would provide its sufficient quantities.

•     Take small portions at small intervals - reduce the quantities of carbs like rice and potato in major meals and to make up for nutrition take fruits , salads, nuts, sprouts and roasted whole cereals and pulses like roasted black channa as in-between fillers.
•     Make it a habit to drink around 2 - 2.5 liters of water every day. Go fresh with lemon juice and tender coconut water.
•     Always carry a whole fruit or sprouts or some dry fruits with you. These will save you from making wrong eating decision when you are outside and feeling hungry.

Your interest in losing weight may motivate you to take long walks, and be active wherever possible. But it might not be the best practice every time. You need to figure out the right time and conditions for doing so.
For example - while a brisk walk is good for anyone who intent to lose weight, but doing so without take a pre walk snack would surely leave you exhausted.

Do the activities in proper routine, irregular workouts do more harm than good to your metabolism. Aim to achieve a target of 250 minute of exercises per week. Take some water and a fruit 15 minutes before starting the exercises; keep sipping cold water or beetroot juice in between. And finally 2-3 glasses of water again on completing the cooling down routine. What you eat after the exercises is equally important; I would suggest you to take a banana or few dates after drinking water and then a protein rich food. Best is to take a protein supplement but if you are doing light exercises the bread with nut butter or tofu slice, paneer cubes, nuts, sprouts, boiled channa with lemon etc. would do.

Be aware of what you eat and relish your meals.

Hope this helps.Please feel free to ask further questions.

Meenakshi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Meenakshi Attrey 18 hours later
i would like to take ghee 1 tablespoon everyday mam..will it cause weight??
when is the best time to take bananas??
i used to take exercise in the night time at 8-9 p.m.gym will be free in hostel only at that time..is it good to exercise at night??after exercising shall i take chapathis?what is the correct weight for my height??
i used to skip meal at night and drink only milk.is that good mam..will it cause weight?? my butts , thighs and arms are so bigger than my upper body size..is there any exercise and diet to reduce butts,thighs and arms fastly mam.
Answered by Meenakshi Attrey 4 days later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer...

Detailed Answer:
HI

Greetings...... !!

You mat take 1/2 tbsp ghee everyday provided you do the additional exercises everyday to burn the extra calories that comes with it. Ghee in itself is not much a food of concern, but its all about the way that we take it or with what we take it. Most people like ghee with pulav, khichri or in sweets. these foods create a high load of calories and cause weight gain. I would advise you to take ghee ( 1/2 tbsp. as mentioned above), with whole wheat chapatti or with Missy roti, bajra khichri etc.

The best time to take banana is after a heavy workout or after long brisk walk. it provides healthy carbohydrates that are required after exercises, and its potassium aids in re-hydration when taken with sufficient fluids.

The best time to exercise is in the morning when your body is fresh from a good sleep in night. However as you do the exercise in the evening, make sure that you finish taking the heavy meals at least 3 hours before the workout. Take a pre-workout meal 10- 15 minutes before starting warm up exercises, this includes a glass of plain cold water and a fruit of choice. Once you complete the cool down routine, take another 2 glasses of water followed by banana or 3-4 dates. you may also take a medium size plain boiled potato in place of banana.
You may then take dinner after another 30 minutes and make sure that you take a combination diet including chapatti and pulses or non veg and salad for dinner.

As per the BMI, your weight should be between 54 - 58 kilos. and its very easy to achieve the same. Make sure that you never skip meals and do the exercises regularly. Try sit ups, crunches, twist crunches, vertical crunches, walk with a resistance band, Bulgarian split squats, regular squats, push ups etc. for toning of the muscles. light weight training would also help.

Hope this helps, please feel free to contact me for further discussion.

Meenakshi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Meenakshi Attrey 26 hours later
hello mam,
i usually take bananas and 5 almonds in the morning.then i will take 4 idlis or 4 slices of bread with butter or ven pongal or 2 dosas or noodles or sweet pongal as per the hostel menu.
in the afternoon i used to take 1 cup of rice with vegetables and 3 chapatis with 1/2 teaspoon of ghee,and a small cup of curd.
in the evening i used to take 250 ml of milk with herabalife dhinoshake and fruits like sapota,orange,apple ,grapes etc...
in the dinner i used to take 3 chapatis.
i used to workout at 8-9 pm with 30 min walking,10 min cycling and 15 crunches.
pls help me by saying is that i should change above menu of eating??,and please say me the menu for alteast to shed 3 kgs in a month..mam give me a full menu of what i should eat daily and what i should not..i will try to follow mam..pls help me by saying that whether i should increase my exercise timings..help me mam:)i will try to follow what u say.
i used to workout daily.bt i will shed not to 1 kg in a mnth.
thamk u mam:)
Answered by Meenakshi Attrey 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed Answer Below

Detailed Answer:

60 minutes of exercise is sufficient to complement a healthy and balanced diet, given that you aim to reduce 2-3 kilos a month.
You are required to replan the portion sizes and divide the total calories that you are taking.

Here is the sample menu to help you keep a check on the food portions.

Early Morning - Lukewarm water - 1 Glass

MORNING - apple or pear + 3 pre soaked almonds

Breakfast - 2 idli or 2 plain dosa (avoid stuffed dosa) or bread slices - 2 no etc
( balance the reduced intake with fruits of choice)

Mid Morning - Green Tea (sugarless) - 1 Glass

Lunch - 1 cup rice with 1 cup Dal OR 2 Ghee chapatti with 1 Cup Veg + salad - 1/2 cup + Buttermilk - 1 Glass or curd - 1 Cup

Evening snacks - Green Tea (sugarless) - 1 Glass + High Fiber Bis. - 1 no

Late evening - Tender coconut water or salted lemon juice - 1 Glass

Dinner - same as Lunch

If you feel hungry in between take a glass of cold water or a fruit or a cup of salad.

Hope this helps.

Meenakshi