How to reduce weight?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Weight Loss
Question: I am 31 years of age and my bmi is 33, I am over weighted, I do regular cordio but I am in the same weight.. I am 93 kgs ,plz suggest me hpw can I reduce weight gradually
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer...it would not be possible to shed weight without cutting on your calories
Detailed answer...
For reduction of weight,both controlled diet as well as regular aerobic exercises is required.
If you don't cut on your calories,no matter how much you run or do exercises,weight won't come down.

I will explain you the mathematics of weightloss which would make you  realise that it is easy to loose weight provided you are disciplined,patient and taking controlled diet along with regular exercises.

To lose one pound by exercising, you need to burn approximately 3,500 calories. (2.2 pound is one kg).
This can be done by exercising and cutting calories.
Walking or jogging uses roughly 100 calories per mile.
One would lose a pound for every 35 miles of walk (provided food intake and other activities are constant.)
Walking briskly (4 miles per hour) for 30 minutes on five days a week will be equal to walking 10 miles a week. So it would take 3 ½ weeks to lose one pound (provided the number of calories stays the same.
Cutting back by 250 calories a day (½ cup of ice cream or two sugar-sweetened sodas) will lead to a loss of a pound in two weeks.
By eating 250 fewer calories and walking for 30 minutes a day, it would take a week to lose one pound.
What to do...
Get your thyroid function tests done since hypothyroidism won't let you loose weight.
Avoid junk foods,sweets,colas,deep fried foods,saturated fats and transfats.
Consume more of green vegetables and fresh fruits.
Do regular exercises like cardio for 45 minutes a day.
In case you are not able to do the dieting yourself,you can consult a dietician for the proper diet chart.
I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks