Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

192 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

How to reduce pimple scars?

Answered by
Dr. Johny Chacko


Practicing since :2005

Answered : 1919 Questions

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Acne
Question: How to reduce the black spots in the skin developed due pimples
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Post acne pigmentation

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare magic.

I understand that you are concerned about the black marks left behind by pimples on your face.

This is called as post acne pigmentation.

You could try the following suggestions to lighten them-

1. Use a gel based sunscreen with SPF 30 or above in the daytime every 4 hours. Pigmentation of any kind gets worsened by sunlight exposure and hence sun protection is a must.

2. Use a cream containing 2% kojic acid ( e.g- Kojivit gel) at bedtime on the spots for about 2-3 months.

3. You could get glycolic acid based peels done by a dermatologist. This will cause exfoliation of the dead skin and slowly lighten the marks in conjunction with the creams.

4. Have a healthy diet rich in fruits and vegetables containing anti oxidants like broccoli, peppers, ginger, tomato, pumpkin, papaya, etc. This will help improve your overall skin tone.

Hopw this helps you.

Take care.

Dr. Johny Chacko
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Kojic acid

doctor1 MD

Hi I am 29 years old female and i am seeing slanting black lines from sides of my nose? Please see attached pics. What are these? I am worried as this is quite visible.

doctor1 MD

Hello sir, I am XXXXXXX XXXXXXX having a problem of Acne on the sides of chin. I used to have this problem before my marriage. now again having the same Acne problem on both sides of the Chin. and having black marks and pain on the skin . Could...

doctor1 MD

Some area of my face skin has black patches. I used to not have it before. The remaining face skin is soft smooth and young. Please help in removing black patches and getting soft smooth and young skin. Please let me know of any cream that I can...

doctor1 MD

hi this is ravi from ranchi,i am a boy 27 yr old,with Wheaties complexion ,earlier i was using bright cream a combination of hydroqunion and kojic acid,i notice changes after applying this cream but restore to normal complexion, i heard about malaglow and want to know about it more,my skin type is oily,can i use this cream(malaglow)?

doctor1 MD

my wife used hydroquinone tretinoin and mometasone furoate cream for 1 month for melasma on her cheeks along with a sun screen lotion. It was prescribed by a dermatologist and there was very good results within 2 weeks. After 1 month's treatment as per doctors advice the above said hydroquinone cream as reduced to alternate days with addition of kojic acid dipalmitate (alternate days). But after 10 days, the dark spots have started to appear. Kindly let me know whats the reason for this reappearance. Please advise us a suitable remedy. Venkat