How to reduce pimple scars?

Dr. Johny Chacko

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Acne
Question: How to reduce the black spots in the skin developed due pimples
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Post acne pigmentation

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare magic.

I understand that you are concerned about the black marks left behind by pimples on your face.

This is called as post acne pigmentation.

You could try the following suggestions to lighten them-

1. Use a gel based sunscreen with SPF 30 or above in the daytime every 4 hours. Pigmentation of any kind gets worsened by sunlight exposure and hence sun protection is a must.

2. Use a cream containing 2% kojic acid ( e.g- Kojivit gel) at bedtime on the spots for about 2-3 months.

3. You could get glycolic acid based peels done by a dermatologist. This will cause exfoliation of the dead skin and slowly lighten the marks in conjunction with the creams.

4. Have a healthy diet rich in fruits and vegetables containing anti oxidants like broccoli, peppers, ginger, tomato, pumpkin, papaya, etc. This will help improve your overall skin tone.

Hopw this helps you.

Dr. Johny Chacko