How to reduce dosage of Klonopin?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 3 Nov 2015 in Mental Health
Question: I ws taking klonopin .5 for three twice. Drop to one at night then half f .5 can sleep
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Doses should be reduced gradually

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM for your health related doubts

Klonopin is a benzodiazepine drug and the drug acts by causing changes at receptor levels. Abrupt dose reduction or stoppage of the drug might cause withdrawal. So it is advised to patients to reduce the doses of drug gradually. Doses should be reduced by 20-25% every two weeks. So as you were taking the drug thrice and then reduce the doses to half. This might cause withdrawal and may precipitate insomnia and withdrawal. Please reduce the doses gradually to prevent this.

Thanks. Take care. Please don't hesitate to ask again for more doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad