question-icon

How to reduce dark circles under eyes?

Posted on Tue, 10 Jun 2014
Question: I have dark circles under eyes since last 3/4 years
I have tried Eye-Derm Lotion(West-Coast) & Melaglow cream (Abott) but neither of them have proved useful to me in reducing Dark-circles.
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi (40 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Find out the cause.Chemical peel will help.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Dark circles under eyes is a common cosmetic problem .

Before going to treatment part it is important to find out exact cause for dark circles.

Stress and lack of sleep are very common factors responsible for dark circles.It will be important for you to undergo a psychiatric consultation if you have any stress.

Other important factor is hemoglobin deficiency.Make sure your hemoglobin is in normal range.If it is below normal you need to take iron supplementation.

You can try fair eye cream for reducing dark circles.Other option is to undergo chemical peel treatment.It has good results.You need to consult a dermatologist for this.

If dark circles is associated with seasonal asthma it can be due to allergy.You need to apply a mild steroid like cutisoft cream in that case.

In summary If there is no causative factor for dark circles I will advise you to try for fair eye cream and if there is no response you can consult a dermatologist for chemical peel.

I hope this will solve your query.In case if you have any concerns I will be happy to help you.Take care.
Dr. R.G. Joshi

Dermatologist