How to reduce cylindrical eye power?

Ophthalmologist
Question
Hi this is XXXXXXX . in my RE i have sperical of 2 and cylindrical of 1 and in my LE i have a sperical of 2 and cylindrical of 0.5. i have started wearing glass from age 15 and now my age is 25. at the starting stage i didnt use the glass properly hence my eye contact got increased to 2 and till now my sperical power is 2 no change as i regularly started using glass but my cylindrical power is getting increased slight by slight.. i have started using contact lens some 4 years back and i am using glass as well.. i want to reduce my cylindrical.. can someone help me on this.. please give some food tips and exercise.. thanks
Posted Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
myopia with cylindrical defect.

Detailed Answer:
You can not reduce cylindrical power by any other means. You have to use specs regularly and get your refraction done now. Now that you are 25 your power is stabilized. In myopia the power increases with body growth. This is stabilized at about 25 years of age . If you are not interested and want to avoid specs then this is the time you can go for refractive surgery. Consult with surgeon and take advice about your suitability. For refractive error only 3 options are available, specs, cotact lens, and refractive surgery.Excercise ,food or medicine does not improve the power.

Follow-up: How to reduce cylindrical eye power? 21 hours later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Dash,

Thank you for your detailed answer.

Can you explain me what is refractive surgery? This surgery is for my whole life span or do i need to have the surgery again after some years.

Yes i can understand that exercise and food doesn't improve in reducing my cylindrical defect.. Atleast i can stop increasing my cylindrical defect. So can you please guide me what kind of food or exercise will be better to control.

I use to work more then 12 hrs a day.. So please help me what kind of lens i can use.

Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
cylindrical error in eye.

Detailed Answer:
Unfortunately food and exercise cannot decrease or stablize cylindrical power. You have to use recommended lens with recommended power; you can use anti glare lens for additional benefits. If do not wish to use glasses, contact lens are the alternatives.

The surgery if successful can be for whole life. That's a choice you have. Any doubt you can have detail discussion with refractive surgeon. You can get all information from him about specs and contact lens. You have decide one of them which is best suited to you. Both are good.