Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

How to reduce Blood urea nitrogen and creatnine level naturally?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14442 Questions
Is it possible to lower my Bun and Creatnine naturally?
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
tight control of diabetes can sometimes reverse it

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Elevated bun (urea) and creatinine is most commonly related to kidney disease or impairment.
If it was the creatinine only that was elevated then it would have been possible that it could have been related to diet such as excess use of protein but the increased values together are suggestive of kidney issues.

In some persons, reversal is not possible but it is possible to prevent any further damage.

With a history of diabetes and hypertension, it is likely that these conditions contribute to kidney impairment.

For this reason, one of most important aspects of treatment would be tight control of your diabetes and high blood pressure.

In some persons tight control of diabetes can reverse some of the kidney damage.

It would be important to maintain your blood pressure below 130/80 mmHg. A kidney protection medication in the ACE or ARB family would help.
These medications slow down the progression of kidney disease.

The DASH diet is recommended for control of blood pressure-(1) low salt,
(2) low alcohol intake,
(3) increase of fruits and vegetables,
(4) high intake of foods with calcium and potassium which is shown to reduce blood pressure- low fat diary for the calcium.
Your doctor however may not want a high intake of potassium at this stage
(5) high use of water

Blood sugar control would be achieved by diet , activity and medication. The main dietary changes would be reduction in carbohydrate intake.

I hope this helps , feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How to reduce Blood urea nitrogen and creatnine level naturally? 23 hours later
When I was on Glypizide my fasting blood sugar was 100 or lower. My doctor switched me to insulin and my blood sugar went up into the 200. I switched back to glypizide and this morning it was down to 99. The understanding was that they took me off the glypizide to protect my kidneys. I am not understanding why. Can you help me with a better explanation?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it is cleared by the kidneys and liver

Detailed Answer:

Glipizide is broken down and excreted by the kidneys and liver.

In persons with impaired kidney function , there is difficulty clearing the drug.

This means that its action would be prolonged and there is an increased risk of low blood sugars.
Because this family of drugs is already known to cause low blood sugars the potential for an increase in this problem is the reason that the drug is generally avoided in kidney or liver disease.

If your fasting blood sugars were high with the insulin, it implies that the basal (background) insulin dose needed adjusting.
This is the long acting insulin.It influences the fasting readings and the bolus insulins ( the one in relation to meals) affect the post eating readings.

Please feel free to ask any additional questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor