How to quit smoking?

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Thu, 8 Sep 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hi,
How to quite smoking ?? Can you suggest some tips??
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Think of smoking as bad habit

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

First you need to recognize smoking as bad habit. Just like you would give up any other bad habit, you can give up smoking. To quit smoking you just need to select a date to quit.

Then select the time period that you are comfortable quiting for. It can be any number of days: 2 days, 4 days, 1 week, etc. Do not smoke for that much time. Once you feel comfortable that you will live without smoke, you will be able to prolong the time of abstinence.

Just be aware that you will get some symptoms when you quit. These will be withdrawal symptoms that happen only for a few days on quiting. Once you are able to tide over this period of symptoms, you will know that your health is coming back to normal. To tide over this period you will need patience more than medicines. Medicines can be taken to take care of the symptoms. For example you can take brufen 200 mg for headache when needed. If you feel shakiness, etc, just realize that it is happening because the body is getting rid of the toxins. Once the toxins are gone, the shakiness will go too.

Nicotine patches have also been made available. Smokeless cigarettes (called as e-cigarettes) are also available. These are meant to reduce the craving for the cigarette. Also let me know the reason for not quiting and we can work on it.

Hope it helps.
Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 39 minutes later
Thanks for fast reply....

I would like to know your tips are applicable for chronic smokers, if No please suggest further more tips.

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Applicable to chronic smokers

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

The above tips are specially applicable to chronic smokers. In short term smokers, abrupt cessation can work. But chronic smokers need a few days smoke free period before they give up completely.

So first select a date, then decide the duration of smoke free period. And just go for it. Alongwith make use of meditations to give inner strength. I personally suggest guided meditations by art of living available on youtube.

Hope it helps.

Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj