question-icon

How to quit alcohol consumption?

Posted on Wed, 11 May 2016
Question: trying to quit alcohol cold turkey but am having side effects should I be under my doctors care when quitting? I have a doctors appointment on Thursday. Any information would be helpful. thank you
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar (34 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Yes you need to be under care

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for suing Healthcaremagic.

Quiting alcohol is most risky among all substances of abuse as it cause few of the withdrawal symptoms which can be life threatening. One of among them is delirium tremens which occurs after 24-48 hours of last dose and have mortality of 5-20 %.

In addition the treatment for alcohol withdrawal is short (one week to two week) which can save you from all kind of adverse reactions while smoothing the abstinence process.

I feel it will be n your interest to see a doctor as a simple prescription of multivitamin (thiamine) and benzodiazepines can save you from all complications.

I hope this assists you.
If you have more questions feel free to write back to me.
Thanks and regards

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist