How to qualify for coast guard aviation examination while having binocular vision disorder?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: My son just started Coast Guard aviation maintenance school. The technician gave him a depth perception test which he failed. He has an appt with an eye doctor in 3 weeks! What can be done for him? He loves this area of the Coast Guard.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Exact cause behind this should be diagnosed and treated.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic,

Stereoscopic vision and depth perception testing is important in identifying diseases such as Amblyopia, Strabismus, Suppression and Stereopsis. Depth Perception is also known as stereopsis.

Stereo-vision is how each eye may see an object from different angles, but when combined, these angles give us a 3D image.

Poor depth perception, could be caused by a number of eye diseases and conditions, i.e.
Strabismus, Muscle weakness, Amblyopia, Optic Nerve Hypoplasia.. People with normal binocular vision (vision created by two separate eyes working together to form a single image) can perceive the depth and distance of objects.

Treatment goal for the problem depends on identifying the cause behind this at first. Any specific treatment could only follow a thorough comprehensive eye examination by an ophthalmologist (perhaps getting another appointment from a different Ophthalmologist earlier than this could help).

Please feel free to ask further.
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 19 minutes later

Could glasses potentially correct this problem? And do you know if the military would accept glasses? He is not a pilot but will be in the aircraft.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
As already told by me cause of the problem is to be ruled out,And treatment will be done accordingly.For example suppose if there is nerve damage in that case glasses can't help as problem is with nerve and not in lens.

Physical fitness standards of military usually are a bit high and depth perception is very important when it comes to shooting and firing.I don't think military will be fit for him.
Yes he can work as a flight attendant on air craft.

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana