How to prevent pimples, scars and age spots?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Acne
Question: how to prevent pimples and scars..
how to prevent age spots
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 38 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Treatment of pimples depends upon the severity and extent of acne lesions. So to give you a proper advise, I would like you to upload an image of your concerned area.
I would also like to know
1)since how long are you having acne
2)What type of lesions you have- just blackheads, red elevated lesions, pus filled lesions or nodules and cysts
3)If any hormonal problem you have like irregular periods, dandruff, hair fall, weight gain, pigmentation issues
4) what creams or cosmetics or oral medications you have been using,
5) if your acne flares up with facials.

As a general regime to prevent acne and age spots follow these
1) use a salicylic acid based face wash
2) apply a water based moisturiser
3) use sunscreen regularly of SPF more than 30 at least half an hour prior to going out in sun
4) take oral vitamin c and antioxidant supplements
5) use Kojic acid, liquorice arbutin based cream or Glycolic acid cream to reduce acne spots as well as age spots.
6) chemical peels can be taken for acne, acne pigmentation and age spots
As far as acne scars are concerned, scarring develops when acne lesions are not treated for long and the severity of scars depends on severity of acne. So to prevent scarring, active acne lesions have to be treated promptly.
For already developed scars, one might take sessions of chemical peels, microdermabrasion, dermarollers or even LASERS.

kindly provide me with further details, so that I can assist you in a better way. Hoping to hear from you soon. Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 13 hours later
hi XXXXXXX,

thanks for ur reply..
to answer some of ur questions,
1. i have been facing pimple problem from the age of 19..
2. my acne is not severe now, but here and there small red ones which turn to black marks
3. i had this PCOD prob initially after marriage in 2010,had put on lot of weight close to 65 kgs within 6 months > which lead to PCOD,hair fall, irregular periods,
then went to Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX they suggested to reduce weight, gave oral medications like isotrin, vitamin tablets for 6 months, used to take Diane-32 tablets, took for 6 months for PCOD,
faced lot of hairfall from past 1 yr, my weight was 65kgs initially, now reduced to 57 kgs [ height 5.6 ft].
4. cosmetics i use lakme products for office
i use sun grace lotion before applying the lakme mousse foundation
on pimple area i use clindamicin[mrng], retino A [night]
5. my pimples flare up after facial. i dont know why?
i have this mixed face somedays it is glowing somedays its dull, when i feel its dull, i go for facial.. can u suggest what kind of facial i can get done... XXXXXXX XXXXXXX suggested for chemical peel > but thinking what might happen to my skin at long run. can u provide more details on this XXXXXXX

thank u - Rekha :-)
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 37 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for providing the details

The treatment prescribed by Dr XXXXXXX was quite apt to treat acne at that stage. Right now as you are having occasional pimples, oral therapy is not required. Topical creams or gels would work fine.

Use clindamycin gel once in morning and adapalene gel in night instead of retino A as it causes dryness over your face. Make it a point to apply small quantities of these creams only over active pimples. Use a salicylic acid based face wash as it would not only treat pimples but would reduce acne spots (saslic/ saliac/ neutrogena)

I would advise you to avoid facials as facials stimulate our oil glands and lead to acne flare ups. If facials are required, avoid too much massaging of the face and go for aloe vera gel massages. Get your blackheads and whiteheads removed on regular basis.

Chemical peels if done properly are quite beneficial. These help in preventing acne, treating pigmentation, age spots and also lead to shedding of dry dead skin ultimately giving a person a healthy glow. Dr XXXXXXX is a well known dermatologist, so you are basically in safe hands! Chemical peels have no ill effects in long run, so can be taken without any worry. Apart from all these follow my basic recommendations that I had mentioned earlier.

Hope that answers your query. Should there be further query, I would be happy to assist you.
Please close this discussion if all your queries are answered.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad