• question-icon

How to prevent lymphedema after a quadrantectomy with axillary dissection?

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in Cancer
Question: My aunt who is diagnosed with T2N0M0 undergone surgery in XXXXXXX 2017 and the doctor did quadrantectomy with axillary dissection. Total 17 lymp nodes were removed and all were negative.

We were not very much aware of Sentinal Node biopsy at that time and doctor seems to have taken his own decision on this.

Now she is at more risk for lymphedema because the number of lymph nodes removed are more.

Any insight of the pratice of removing lymph nodes and risk of lymphedema and measures to avoid it?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello. There is a risk of lymphedema

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. I have gone through the details. Si after axillary dissection, about 20 percent of females develop lymphedema. Severity of lymphedema varies from. Patient to patient.
Early introduction of physiotherapy and compression stockings help to prevent lymphedema.
Thanks and regards
Feel free to ask further
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Deepak Sundriyal

Oncologist