• question-icon

How to prevent liver cancer recurrence after treatment?

Posted on Tue, 1 Aug 2017 in Cancer
Question: To Doctor Rothstein,Hi Doctor,

I underwent successful liver re-sectioning at XXXXXXX XXXXXXX on May 18th.The 18 rounds of chemothraphy had killed the numerous lesions in my liver except one which was 1/2 dead.The surgeon removed only 10% of my liver.

I am told I am now cancer free

I think the 18 rounds of Folfox and Folfiri before re sectioning may give me a lower chance of reoccurrence

Is there any other things I should consider to lower the chances of reoccurance.My two oncologists said to do nothing except every three months cat scans

Thank you,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
nothing more

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Hi XXXXXXX
I am so glad that surgery was done and it was successful.
This is serious diseases as I said, and these are great news that liver mets were operable. However, there is no guarantee that recurrence will develop and no one can predict the course of tumor since this is individual for every patient. In your case, there are some good prognostic signs and I am sure that prolonged survival and nice quality of life can be achieved. YOu cant do much more than your oncologist recommended. just do recommended CT follow ups, have healthy diet and be positive. There is no miracle cure for preventing possible recurence, but if you live with this thought then you ll just be anxious all the time and you cant change the course of the disease at this point. In future when liver hypertropphy more, it may be possible to resect the rest of this tumor or it can be destroyed with radiofreqency ablation. Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 28 minutes later
Hi Doctor,

Sorry i mispelled your name.Four oncologists told me a liver resection was not possible.They were amazed that I was able to have my liver resectioned and the cancer removed.You are right the test now is try to overcome the thought of a reoccurance.That should be much easier than beating stage four colon cancer at leasrt for the time being.Thank you for your positive thoughts and guaidance
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Yes, I was sceptic as well, but as I said, modern liver surgery is very developed and even 80% of liver tissue may be removed without fatal consequences.

I am sure that surgery will delay tumor progression and hope for the best in future. Even in the case of recurrence, there are some third lines of chemotherapy which may also be experimental. But may also provide some hope.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 2 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Is it possible that I have been cured from cancer and any reoccurrance?

Thank you,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
small chances

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

I need to be honest and tell you that there are small chances of something like this, although this is not impossible. Stage IV with liver mets is very advanced stage of malignant diseases and only if 5 years of tumor free period have passed, then we can talk about cure.
So , there is a hope for cure, but you need to go step by step and be patient.
This is very good sign that there was no recurrence outside the liver for all these years, but in many cases there are micrometastases which may activate later even if chemotherapy was done.and this may not be seen on ct scan.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon