How to prepare for an epidural injection?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: how do I prepare for an epidural procedure?

I had an MRI at Lenox Hill Radiology in NYC. Dr. XXXXXXX Bronson read the report and reviewed the CD. I have been told that I have spinal stenosis in my lower back, L3,4and5. it is the reason that I am going for the epidural Tuesday afternoon. What should I do to prepare for an epidural ? What do I do in advance? Are there foods or liquids I should avoid before the procedure?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As follows...

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

It is not clear if by epidural injection you mean epidural anesthesia or steroid injection for pain. But in any case preparation is similar and simple.
You should not eat or drink for 8 hours before the procedure. An exception would be your regular blood pressure treatment (if any), that can be taken with a sip of water.

If you are under blood thinners like Aspirin, Warfarin, Pradaxa, Eliquis, Xarelto etc they might need to be interrupted before the procedure. If you do take any of these medications please let me know which one and why you are taking them so that we can discuss how long before the procedure they should be interrupted and potential risks.
The Naproxen which you mention to be taking shouldn't be used in the preceding 24 hours as well, as it has some mild blood thinning properties.

These were the necessary measures to take before the procedure, as I told you it's pretty simple. I remain at your disposal for other questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj