How to postpone periods?

Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: Hi Doc, since Im going on a vacation this month(Aug 27), would like to postpone my periods by a week. This month my periods started on 31 Aug and I have a 28-30 days cycle. Last 2 cycles were on July 5th and Aug 5th. I had a baby in March and Im not feeding right now. I have had Primolut N before (more than 2 yrs ago) but dont remember when to start it. Please help.
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Confirm the dates.

Detailed Answer:

Can you please confirm exact dates and month about you last menstrual cycle? You have mentioned periods started this month on August 31; last cycles on July 5th and august 5th. Do you mean you are expected to have periods of Aug 5th and August 31st?

To postpone periods you need start Primolute N 5 mg (NORETHISTERONE) 3 days prior to your due date of periods. You have to take this pill 3 times a day as long as you want to delay the period but not more than 14 days. Once you stopped the medication you will bleed within 5-7 days. You can get this medication with local doctor prescription, if the old stock has expired.

I would suggest you wait until you get periods this month (august) and note the date. According to your dates mentioned in query if you get periods on 5th august then your next period will be around 5th September then you need start medication on 2nd SEPTEMBER.

Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any queries I will be happy to help you.
If you do not have any queries you can close the discussion and rate the answer if possible.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 3 hours later
Sorry for the mistake Dr, actually I meant 31 July ie yesterday. So the dates of previous months are as follows:
XXXXXXX 05, July 05 and July31 (I had 2 periods in the month of July).

After my delivery in Mar, I had my first period on Jun 05.

Considering the above dates, please suggest from which date should I start taking Primolute N 5 mg?
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Start on August 25th

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up query.
Sorry for delay in giving response.

According your last Menstrual cycle period(LMP) July 31st I would suggest you better start taking medication on 25th August.I would suggest you Primolute-N 5 mg three times(Morning,afternoon and night) a day as long as you want to postpone periods.

Hope I have answered your query.
Thank you.

Thanks for the reply Dr.

Do I take these tablets before/after food?

Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take after food.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up query.

You can take tablet with a glass of water or milk. You have to take this after food.
If you missed the dose take it as soon as possible if it is not time to take the next dose. If yes, then skip the dose and take next dosage as per plan. Do not take two tablets at a time.

Hope I have answered your query.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari