Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

How to overcome unknown fear?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1197 Questions
Hi, A family member is paranoid, isolated cut off any family relation. He thought that "a mafia in work place" chasing him. It is chronic, for years up an down, but it is in its worse shape recently. He takes picture from pedestrian who he thinks that they are part of Mafia. Is it legally doable to force him to be admitted. He never threatened anybody.
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in Schizophrenia
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Can be admitted after psychiatry consultation Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in to us. A careful assessment has to be made of the problems your close family member is going through. The focus is on treatment and not merely admission of patient to a psychiatry hospital. It is important that you consult a qualified psychiatrist and have your family member clinically examined in detail. This also requires in depth questioning about the onset, duration and various treatments that have been received from time to time. Self harm or threat to others is not the only criteria for admission and under mental health acts a patient may be admitted and treated for psychiatry problems under many conditions which are in the interest of the patient. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Dr.A.Rao Kavoor
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How to overcome unknown fear? 15 minutes later
He is not willing and refuses to see a psychiatrist and I am a MD, he is an MD, I wanted to know that If I have to seek a legal action?
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in with an update. Current U.S. laws make it very difficult to get help for someone who actively refuses it - someone may be actively psychotic and in desperate straits, but still not considered a serious-enough threat to themselves or others to merit involuntary hospitalization. The best course of action depends on the type and severity of symptoms. If the symptoms are worrisome but not absolutely harmful yet, try locating a mental health professional or a social worker who is familiar with dealing with psychiatric disorders. They can discuss your relative's behavior with you, and brainstorm the best way to get him/her help. Options will vary from state to state, based on state law. Contact a local National Allaiance on Mental Illness XXXXXXX chapter or call their helpline (1-800-950-NAMI) to look up resources in your area. Please use the following link for further details: WWW.WWWW.WW Alternatively you may refer to the State laws in Kansas on the treatment of people with possible mental illness. Please refer to the link below WWW.WWWW.WW Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Dr.A.Rao Kavoor
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor