How to overcome the side effects of vitiligo medication?

Dr. Abhijit Sonawane

Posted on Thu, 8 Sep 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Sir I have vitiligo last 20 years 4 year I took vitiligo give good response & there is some side effects now if I started again it give headache feeling low swet pn head plz how I continue it
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dietary modifications along with proper skin precautions is helpful

Detailed Answer:
vitiligo is an autoimmune disease—a disease in which a person's immune system reacts against the body's own organs or tissues. People's bodies produce proteins called cytokines that, in vitiligo, alter their pigment-producing cells and cause these cells to die. Each patient responds differently to therapy, and a particular treatment may not work for everyone. Current treatment options for vitiligo include medication, surgery, and adjunctive therapies (used along with surgical or medical treatments).
Modifications in diet along with observation of triggering factors causing increase in side effects should be noted.
Following is the list of food items which you may want to consider avoiding in your diet:
●fruits :
Orange,
Gooseberry,
Custard Apple,
Guava,
Prunes,
Cashew nuts,
Water melon and
Melon

●Vegetables

Brinjal,
Red Sorrel,
Parsley,
Papaya,
Lemon ,
Tomato,
Tamarind and
Garlic

●Milk Products

Milk,
Curd and
Buttermilk

●Non-Vegetarian Food Items

Fish,
Red Meat and
Beef

●Other Food Items

Junk Food,
Chocolates,
Coffee,
Soda bi carb,
Carbonated Drinks and
Oily and spicy food items like Pickles

●Following is the list of food items which you should consider adding to your diet:-
Radish,
Beet Root,
Carrot,
French Beans,
Ridge and Bitter Gourd,
Fenugreek,
Spinach,
Drumsticks and
Onion

●Fruits

Mangoes,
Grapes,
Walnut,
Apricot,
Dates and
Papaya

●Other Food Items

Wheat,
Pure Ghee,
Red Pepper,
Bengal Gram,
Jaggery,
Pistachio Nut,
Almond,
Potato and
Chillies

For any Vitiligo diet to work properly, you need to keep an eye on:

●What you eat through the day?
●How frequently do you tend eat specific types of food?
Just getting into the habit of eating lots of fresh fruits and vegetables will help reducing side effects and wil help the treatment work better.
If this answer was helpful reply thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad