How to monitor thyroid function while on Methimazole treatment?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Wed, 18 Jul 2018 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: The Dr. told me I have hyper thyroid and I'm on a pill. My home town Dr. tells me to kept taking it but I feel uneasy about my balance mostly. I've lost so much weight. I'm 84 years old and have to drive 70 miles or so to see the Dr. that prescribed methimazole 10 mg. The Dr. that saw me for thyroid had a bld. test from a nurse practictioner. He wanted to do a nucular test but I went on vacation for 2 months??I'm near a Mayo's in XXXXXXX Az. but live in freezing Wi. Not sure what to do? How much do you charge?
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About hyperthyroidism;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I can understand your concern.
While you are on Methimazole treatment you need to check the thyroid hormones (TSH, Ft4 and Ft3) once a month.
If they get within the normal ranges than radioactive Iodine treatment may be suggested ( depending on thyroid scintiscan that you need to do).
We can suggest you about the dose of Methimazole if you attach the TSH, Ft4 and Ft3 result.
For a definite treatment ( radioactive iodine) scintiscan is necessary.
Will be a pleasure to help you further.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad