How to maintain good weight?

Question
I'm 27. My height is 5.11ft where as my weight is 55 kg. How to maintain the good ratio. Please suggest. I eat well and tried to eat all energy foods but am same from past 5 years
Posted Sun, 24 Aug 2014 in Weight & Lifestyle

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Treatment and evaluation for malnutrition

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for posting your concern in the HCM.
From your anthropometric data, I think you are definitely underweight. Further evaluation is needed for treatment management.
I need the following information for further evaluation-
1. Do you have a history of chronic or recurrent diarrhoea or bulky stool or bloating or irregular bowel habit? Is the stool difficult to flush or sticks to the pan?
2. Do you have a history of any recent medical illness?
3. Do you have intermittent fever for long?
4. What is the BMI of your parents?
5. Do you have a past history of any significant medical illness (e.g. jaundice, TB etc.) or any operation?
I would also suggest you some investigations-
1. Complete blood count, urea, creatinine, electrolytes, LFT
2. Fasting TSH, Fasting lipid profile, Fasting plasma glucose
3. Urine for routine examination
4. Stool for routine examination

For the time being my recommendations are-
1. Plenty of oral fluid (3-4 l/day)
2. Food should be taken at frequent interval. Increase the amount of carbohydrate in your food. At least 300-400 gram of carbohydrates should be consumed. You have mentioned about animal proteins and fruits and please continue having that. You should also add 150 gm of vegetables, rich in green leafy vegetables in each meal (lunch and dinner).
3. Cap Bevon- One cap once daily for 1 month may be taken.
Please also consult your physician for further clinical evaluation.
Hope you are satisfied with my answer. If you think I have satisfactorily resolved your query, please rate my answer. If you have any further query related to this, please write back.
In case you have any new query in future, you can directly ask me questions @ http://www.HealthcareMagic.com/doctors/dr-kaushik-sarkar/68460. I will try my level best to help you.
Dr. Kaushik

Follow-up: How to maintain good weight? 1 hour later
thanks for your reply. am perfectly fine. I don't hv any diseases or any past historic like operation and issues. and i don't smoke and social drinker may be once in 3 months that too beer only. my dad is 55kg and 5.2ft and my mom is 5.2ft and 65kg

Brief Answer:
Follow advices of previous answer

Detailed Answer:
thanks for your early reply.

Now, I don't think this is much of a concern. I think you can follow the recommendations I have given above. Also, you should have the investigations done.

If the reports come out to be normal, I would suggest that you have such stature because of constitutional factors.

Until then, please follow all the advices and get an appointment of a therapeutic nutrition specialist who will calculate your calorie, protein and fat requirement and give you a personalized diet chart.

If you require any further dietary advice, please attach those reports in your follow up query, so that I can provide a personalized advice for you.

Hope you are satisfied with my answer. If you think I have satisfactorily resolved your query, please close the thread and rate my answer. If you have any further query related to this, please write back.
Dr. Kaushik