How to lower elevated liver enzymes? What are the risks?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 18 Apr 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: My SGOT is 84 ,SGPT IS 120 , total bilrubin is 0.8 mg/dl in which direct is 0.2 mg/dl .
My age is 33 ,weight 100 kg and i am 5 feet 11 inch.Please tell me what i can do to bring it down and is it a matter of threat to my life
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 21 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
You shuldnt be concerned. There are many reasons for elevated liver enzymes. Most common are liver damage and gallbladder diseases but even exercise and muscle pulling can cause raised SGOT and SGPT. IF you dont experience any symptoms such as fatigue,jaundice, abdominal pain or vomiting then this is nothing to be worried.
Good sign is that your bilirubin level and everything else is completely normal. So even if you have liver damage this is obviously minor one and it can be only first stage of fatty liver. Especailly if you drink alcohol, if you are overweight or you have any kind of hepatitis.
To be sure you should do liver ultrasound and check your viral hepatitis markers. If this is normal I suggest to change your dietary and life habbits( avoid fats,smoking and alcohol,do exercise) and check your liver enzymes in 1-2 month to see improvements.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help
Follow up: Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 40 minutes later
Doctor XXXXXXX
Thanks for the answer.Just to let you know, i dont drink alcohol /dont smoke.
I am doing very less exercise for the past 1 year resulting in weght gain.I will better my diet habbit and cut on fat .Also as suggested, i will start exercising too.

Please suggests me all the test with names which i will get done and send it back to you.Can you give the names of specific tests?

Thanks Again.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 4 hours later
Hi again.
Your lab tets you ve attached is enough to evaluate liver function. Also you have normal cholesterol levels which is great, but your weight is one of risk factors for HbsAg is done to see is there hepatitis C and it is negative, but you werent checked up for hepatitis C. So ask your doctor about it. Also,do liver ultrasound as I said to check galbladder and liver morphology.
You should just follow some of the hepatic diets which can be found on web and repeat this test in 2 months.

Also if you want to be sure that there isnt some more serious disease you ca do following: iron and feritine levels, ceruloplasmin an prothrombine time. I dont know are those tests easily available at your place.but you dont have to hurry with that. You can wait till you see your next SGOT and SGPT.
WIsh I ve been helpful. Good luck