How to lead a healty life when on antipsychotic drugs and heart medication?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2014
Jun 2014
Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
I have been diagnosed with HTN, High cholosteral; obesity, schitziphrenia,and enlarged heart and depression and edema in feet. I do take the following meds:clonodine 0.2mg; simvastatin 20mg;metropropol25mg; lasix40mg; klor con 10meq; invega 6mg(tablet); Seroquel 25mg; cogentine 2mg; invega sustenance injection 156mg. I feel life less most of the time so I buy one-a-day-women vitamin supliment.is this ok.I also was diagnosed as having Vit.D dificency and was prescribed a 50000mg supplement. I am I taking too much medicine? Also I have arthritis and have to be prescribed different pain meds., but the don't really work, except for alleve(OTC meds.) should I be concerned about taking this many tablets for survival. I'm trying foods rich in the vitamins and minerals I lack. How can I live a normal life. At 48 years, I am graying very fast and have to XXXXXXX my hair ever so often. I just need a second opinion as to how to have positive life style choices. I work PRN as a HHA. I want to have a positive outlook on life and want to be a positive role model for my 23 years old daughter and others around me. Help please.What is my life expectancy rate for a person of my caliber? Do I need to be concerned about Alzheimers? or other memory loss ? I feel as if I am getting forgetful at times. I have put my education on hold because of insecurities and a sense that I would fail in what I want to do. I have some college education in Jamaica and here.

I visit the psychiatrist and medical doctor once per month. Is the monthly visit to the medical doctor too often? What sort of developments is he looking for? How can I get the most out of these visits? How do I advocate for myself to get the most out of my visits?
Posted Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can try life style modification

Detailed Answer:
HI
Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in this query.

You are on invega (paliperidone) and it is a antipsychotic. That's mean, you have underline psychosis for which you have been on antipsychotic. You are right in saying that you are on multiple drugs, but out of these, you can't miss invega, metoprolol, lasix or simvastatin. These drugs would help to control psychosis as well as hypertension.

You need to take vitamin supplement and viatmin D, if you have bone weakness. In such case, you can't do any thing. You can decrease dose of drugs by diet controlling and weight reduction. For that, you have to change your life style by doing daily morning or evening walk. It would help you to stay fit and come out of these multiple drugs. You can also try some relaxation exercise like JPMR or deep breathing. It would also help to control underline stress.

You have been visiting your medical doctor once in a month. That could be due to multiple complaints. In that case,life style modification could help you. It would help to avoid medical doctor and help to safe time.

If you have more query, you can ask.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist